Directions0/0 steps made
- Put olive oil and minces into a cold pan
- Turn heat on to medium-high and brown mince
- Reduce the heat and add carrots, onions, celery and garlic
- Once veg is softened add milk, stir a little, then add wine, stock cube, basil, oregano, black pepper, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and worcester sauce
- Bring to boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer and cover with a lid
- Simmer for 60-90 minutes, until the sauce is reduced, thick and rich
- Season with sugar and salt to taste
- Mix with spaghetti and serve
- Skip to 01.19 on the video to watch the bolognese recipe!
- You can chop by hand, but using a food processor/chopper will make things a lot quicker, easier and more uniform – which is better for cooking!
- Some examples of wine perfect for this dish are the Italian Chianti, Merlot or Pinot Noir
- Make sure you add your mince to a COLD pan – this will help the mince break down better and stop it from being tough!
- DON’T skip the milk! You might think it sounds like a strange ingredient, but it actually helps to tenderise the meat and create a super juicy bolognese!
- Make sure there is a gap for steam to escape when you cover your bolognese to simmer – either a decent lid with a steam hole, or just leave the lid slightly off
- When seasoning to taste just add ½ – 1 teaspoon of sugar/salt/other seasoning at a time, stirring and tasting each time
- Nutritional information for bolognese only – not including pasta