(Contains affiliate links)
- We love these silicone utensils – they come in lots of colours to suit every kitchen!
- A decent hand whisk – which always comes in handy! We love this Kenwood one because it’s powerful and stores away neatly!
- Mixing bowls – we use these glass ones as they’re very durable, but we also recommend these stackable stainless steel ones with airtight lids and these plastic nesting ones!
- A loaf tin, like this one
Directions0/0 steps made
- Preheat oven to 170°C
- Beat butter and sugar together until pale and creamy
- Add eggs and vanilla essence and mix
- Sieve, then fold in flour, malt powder, cocoa powder and baking powder
- Pour into a lined and greased loaf tin and bake in preheated oven at 170 for 50-60 minutes – when you can insert a skewer or knife into the centre and it comes out clean with no wet mixture, it’s done
- Remove from oven and leave to cool completely – take out of the tin and place on a wire rack
- Once cool spread over Maltesers Spread and top with Maltesers
- Make sure your eggs are beaten BEFORE they go in the mixture – to stop you overbeating it and knocking the air out
- Gently fold in the dry ingredients – don’t rush!
- Don’t open the oven until at least the 45 minute mark, or you’ll affect the rise on the cake
- Be careful not to overbake your cake – all ovens are different, which is why we have said bake for 50-60 minutes and not specified an exact time. As soon as no wet mixture comes out on your knife or skewer it’s done!
- Remember to allow the cake to cool completely before topping with the spread and/or slicing into it